A 40 Year "Retrospective Journey"


“Be good, keep your feet dry,
your eyes open, your heart at peace
and your soul in the joy of Christ.”
Thomas Merton

October 27, 2008

Personal Post - Looking Ahead

Good Bye Calcutta
There is so much more that I'd like to reflect on from what I've read of the presentations made at the 1968 Spiritual Summit Conference in Calcutta (and I've really only read a few). I would like more time to follow the common "perennial philosophy" threads that run through the presentations of Seyyed Hossain Nasr, Huston Smith, Thomas Merton and others. I want to draw some material from Merton's presentations and a few of his letters to pull together a brief summary of his approach to interfaith relations. I'd like to reflect more on the whole question of "relevance". So much...

But Merton's off to New Delhi tomorrow and I've got to get some sleep so I can keep up with him there as he prepares for his pilgimage to the Himalayas. This is a busy week coming up... it's the last week of campaigning, Nixon, Wallace, and Humphrey in 1968 - Obama and McCain in 2008. There are campaigns to cover, votes to cast, and electoral colleges to consider. Merton explores New Delhi, discovers the Mandala, and heads into the Himalayas. There will be new music hitting the charts and headline news to share of "a world in travail", and it's Halloween to boot!! Next weekend, as Merton heads into the mountains I'll be heading off for a short contemplative retreat with Cynthia Bourgeault.

Pass it On
I started this journey as a way to remember Merton and the world he lived in. If you know of anyone who might appreciate this site please pass it on. It's easy to do.

Comments
Please feel free to leave a comment. If you're not a "blogger" just choose "anonymous" as your identity. You can still leave your name in the comment.

TTFN... Rob, in Vancouver
___________________

No comments: