A 40 Year "Retrospective Journey"


“Be good, keep your feet dry,
your eyes open, your heart at peace
and your soul in the joy of Christ.”
Thomas Merton

October 18, 2008

October 1968

I turned 11 in October 1968. We were living in Houghton, Michigan,a small town in the Upper Peninsula. I was a sixth grader at Houghton High School. I remember going to see "The Yellow Submarine" at the local theatre for my birthday party. Another movie at the top of our hit list for that fall was "Planet of the Apes".
Some Magazine Covers...
Life Magazine October 18, 1968
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

Esquire Magazine October 1968

Some of the pop music hits of that month include...
  • “Hey Jude” by the Beatles
  • “Harper Valley P.T.A.” by Jeannie C Riley
  • “Little Green Apples” by O.C. Smith
  • “People Got To Be Free” by the Rascals
  • “I Say A Little Prayer” by Aretha Franklin
  • “Revolution” by the Beatles
  • “Say It Loud – I’m Black And I’m Proud” by James Brown
  • "Abraham, Martin and John" by Dion

Abraham, Martin, and John was a comeback single for Dion after recovering from a heroin addiction. This clip fits well for this day in history.

TTFN... Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,

Thank you for the neat posts, I really love learning about the historical, and personal, events of that time. It is great that I can come on here and read your Merton Journey at my convenience. Unfortunately, the link for this post has been removed, copyright infringement or something.

Love,
Robyn