Galle Face Hotel - Colombo
Thomas has travelled from Madras to Colombo, Ceylon, now known as Sri Lanka. "As usual I am in hotel karma. My Karma. Nineteen twenties, British Raj-karma. The faded cream splendor of Galle Face Hotel." AJTM p.213
Patio at Galle Face Hotel (Grayston Photo)
Merton pilgrim Donald Grayston was in Colombo in 2000, following in the footsteps of Merton. He snapped this great photo of notables who have stayed at the Galle Face.
Notable notables include...
- 60's sex symbol Ursula Andress,
- Worldwide Church of God founder Herbert W. Armstrong,
- sci-fi author Arthur C. Clarke,
- English actor Noel Coward,
- Beatles guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi,
- World Bank President Robert McNamara,
- Trappist Monk Thomas Merton, and
- US President Richard Nixon.
...to name but a few.
Pretty swank company!!
Good night, sleep tight... Rob
"The logic of worldly success rests on a fallacy: the strange error that our perfection depends on the thoughts and opinions and applause of others! A weird life it is, indeed, to be living always in somebody else's imagination, as if that were the only place in which one could at last become real."